Happy Presidents Day everyone! In honor of this day I have decided to look up some fun facts on some of our presidents. Not every president we had was perfect, they all had their ups and downs. Just because one is a part of a political party does not mean they can do a good job. So down below I have listed a few fun facts about some of our presidents.
- Barack Obama is the first president to voice his support for same sex marriage
- John F. Kennedy was the first Catholic president, as well as boy scout.
- Thomas Jefferson was convinced that by soaking his feet in in a bucket of cold water, he would never get cold.
- John Quincy Adams (1767-1848) would often skinny dip in the Potomac River
- George Herbert Walker Bush is the only president with four names.
- George Washington, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, James Polk, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, James Garfield, William McKinley, Theodore Roosevelt, William Taft, Warren Harding, Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson, and Gerald Ford were all Masons, many symbols of which are found on American currency
- President James Buchanan (1791-1868) quietly but consistently bought slaves in Washington, D.C., and then set them free in Pennsylvania
- Martin Van Buren was the first to be a United States citizen. All previous presidents were born British subjects
- President Grover Cleveland (1837-1908) is the only president to be elected to two nonconsecutive terms. He was the 22nd and 24th president
- The “S” in Harry S Truman doesn’t stand for anything; therefore, there is no period after his middle initial.
- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) is the only U.S. president who was also a licensed bartender. He was co-owner of Berry and Lincoln, a saloon in Springfield, Illinois.
- Ronald Reagan’s would-be assassin John Hinkley Jr., was trying to impress Jodie Foster.
- Franklin Roosevelt was put on the dime in honor of his work for March of Dimes
- Theodore Roosevelt was the youngest president at age forty-two, he became president when McKinley was assassinated.
So there are a few fun facts about some of our former presidents. I hope you enjoyed them and Happy Presidents Day!